Collective VFX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Collective VFX

Forum for VFX workers around the World

You are not connected. Please login or register

Montreal Artist Experience

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Montreal Artist Experience Empty Montreal Artist Experience Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:52 pm

DMW

Montreal.
I don't really have to tell you where this happened do I? Half pay rate?

There were my men of time.  
In the last series I'd painted, I’d called it, The Path Series.  I'd been working on it for over ten years.  Oil paintings posted on my gallery.
The image on the screen for the film I'd been brought in on, my men of time had somehow become the villain to the beloved dead super heroes.
The supervisor brought my attention to it inadvertently when visiting my website.  He changed the subject when he checked the dates, confirming the theft.
My series had been created simultaneously to the films development. I had been sending my cv to them for the five years, concurrent to the film and my latest art exhibition.
The faces would splay open in evil.  
To these people, my men of time were the bad guys, yet they had stolen them from me.

A friend had told me once she was reminded of me by the main character in the film "Sucker Punch".  The morning I walked in to find the brand new stencil of the lass in action plastered directly on the wall behind me, the significator was clear.  
As the only woman in compositing,  I was left little choice but to bring exposure as the abuse began and escalated. If only for other women because inevitably, I would be metaphorically lobotomized for it. You cannot make a supervisor put your shot in dailies, even if it's perfect.  These sups shared the shaming with the director and the studio, intentionally making a pariah of artists who don't "fit".  Unfortunately, there are many variations of this story.

I let the supervisors go on with their imaginary offenses, sabotage, tag teaming opposing directives and personal attacks. Emailing myself to keep the dates. The problems started immediately on hire and I documented them, sending them to HR when it got stupid bad.

When the same words meant nothing if I uttered them but yet were crystal clear communication coming from the lips of a male coworker.  "Its rendered in the incorrect eye" I'd said.  He replied with "What??" louder each time I clearly stated the same words.  They continued deriding and mocking me with fellow coworkers,  as if I too, did not speak English.
The high school antics of this place were beyond shameful. Even the producers behave as if they never left grade school.  There is rampant bullying, name calling, fear mongering and shaming. It's a standard practice.  One even went out of her way to email a funny little comic to the entire studio mocking me personally in innuendo. A cat in a reindeer hat, not fitting in with the other reindeers.  A maturity level I've not encountered since babysitting days and never in a adult, without mental disorders.

For the duration of the experience, my "supervisors" refused to allow me to complete a shot and finally would not give me one at all.  The artist who were given these shots were allowed months to complete them. They were all taken from me in 3-4days with the same fanfare of shaming and collusion with the "in crowd" artists.

Finally after being accused of inventing "Refracted Light" by the sup, there was no point in not rocking the boat, it was sinking anyways.
Sighting incompetence, I was relegated to pulling keys. In an attempt to shame me, the sup assigned another artist to "train" me.  An artist with far less experience but a much bigger ego. He was happy to play along, oblivious to the reality of the situation, protecting himself.
At this point, just to see if it really was, just my "imagination", I used an identical script that had only moments before been lauded as perfect when viewed on my male coworkers monitor.  The same, the very same script, identical image, garnered a grimace when viewed on my monitor. Not good enough he said, actually tisk tisking, I kid you not.

Report abuse to HR immediately.  They won't help but it's a paper trail, it's a record.  If you are harmed by physical violence on the job, call the police.  HR will not protect you and will blame you for being being victimized.

Those vile men had to curb the blatant mysogeny by the time I left fortunately.
The male/female ratio had switched and HR was watching quite closely.
After all, it's about $$$ in the end and eventually a delusional egomaniac will cost any company far more than respecting its female work force would have.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum